As a new parent, it’s natural to want to capture every moment of your baby’s birth. But are hospital photographers really the best way to do this? In this article, we explore why you should skip professional hospital photography and what to do instead. Read on to find out more!
What is Newborn Hospital Photography?
Newborn hospital photography is a popular way to capture the first few days of your baby’s life. Many parents choose to have a photographer take pictures of their newborn in the hospital, but there are a few things to keep in mind before you make this decision.
Many hospitals have a contracted third party photography company that will go in after your baby is born and take photos within the first 48 hours.
Things to Keep in Mind about Hospital photography
Hospital photography can be a tricky business. On the one hand, you want to capture the special moments of your baby’s birth or the moments after the birth, called fresh 48s. But on the other hand, you don’t want to end up with a bunch of pictures that are less than perfect or not what you were looking for. Here are a few things to keep in mind when considering hospital photography:
1. The quality of the photos may not be great. Hospital photographers are often not professional photographers, and they may not have access to high-quality equipment. This can result in photos that are grainy or out of focus.
2. You may not get the photos you want. Hospital photographers typically take specific, posed shots of the baby, which may not be what you’re looking for. If you’re hoping for more candid shots, you may be disappointed.
3. The cost can be high. Many hospitals charge for hospital photography services, and the fees can add up quickly.
4. You may have to share the photos with other families. If you’re not comfortable with sharing your photos with other families, hospital photography may not be for you.
5. You may not get to keep the digital files. Some hospitals only give families prints of their photos, rather than giving them digital copies as well. This means you’ll have to pay for prints every time you want a copy of a photo, which can get expensive.
Rely on Close Friends, Family, and Other Photographers Instead
If you’re considering hospital photography, there are a few things you should know. First, it’s important to understand that hospital photography is a completely different ball game from wedding photography or portrait photography. Hospital photographers are typically hired out through a third party vendor. While the photographers may be experienced in working with hospital settings, you are dealing with a large company, not a local photographer.
So what’s the solution? Rely on close friends, family, and other photographers instead. These are people who care about you and your baby, and who will be more than happy to capture these precious moments for you. They’ll also be more likely to get the shots you really want, because they’ll know what you’re looking for.
Private Photographers and small photography businesses are able to capture fresh 48’s and can work with expecting parents to provide a unique photo session that will document your baby the way you want. There are some limitations that hospitals may put into place, but for the most part, hiring a photographer outside of the hospital will give you a fresh and unique photo session.
Why You Shouldn’t Skip the Hospital Photographer
There are a few key reasons why you shouldn’t skip the hospital photographer when your baby is born. First, it’s a wonderful way to document one of the most important moments in your life. The photos will be cherished memories that you can look back on for years to come. Secondly, the hospital photographer will capture all of the little details that you may not have thought to capture yourself. From your baby’s first yawn to their tiny fingers and toes, these are the details that you’ll want to remember forever.
Finally, bypassing the hospital photographer means that you’ll have to take all of the photos yourself or finding a photographer that is trained to work in a hospital environment. And let’s be honest, you’re probably going to be pretty exhausted after giving birth!
Book a Newborn Photography Session instead
If you have decided not to do hospital photos of your newborn, how else can you document the newest member of your family? Book a newborn session instead with a trained professional newborn photographer. Newborn photography is a specialty that requires a lot of time, patience, , skill ad training. When you book a newborn photography session with a professional newborn photographer, you can be sure that your baby will be in good hands. Here are some reasons why you may want to skip hospital photography and book a newborn session instead:
1. You will have very little control over the final product when you use a hospital photographer. With a professional photographer, you can discuss your vision for the shoot beforehand, and they will work to make it happen.
2. Hospital photo sessions are often rushed, as the staff has other patients to attend to. This means that you may not get the level of care and attention that you deserve and that you would receive during a newborn portrait session.
4. The quality of hospital photos is often not as high as it could be, as the lighting is often not ideal and the photographers are not always using top-of-the-line equipment.
5. You will likely have to pay for hospital photos, whereas many professional photographers, like myself, include digital files in their packages or have digital packages that you can purchase.
6. You can choose a photographer based on what you like about them, their style, colors used ect.
7. You can choose if you want a posed studio session or a more lifestyle session
When it comes to capturing those precious early moments with your new baby, it’s worth investing in a professional newborn photography session. You’ll get beautiful photos that you’ll cherish for years to come – without any of the stress
Hospital photography has become increasingly popular over the years, but it is not always the best option when looking for lasting memories of your special day. In fact, skipping the hospital photography and opting for a professional photographer can provide you with beautiful images that will last a lifetime. The key to finding success in this endeavor is to research photographers ahead of time and make sure they understand your vision before booking them. With careful planning and thoughtful consideration, you can ensure that your lasting memories are captured perfectly.
We hope this article has shown you the alternatives that are available, from taking your own photos to hiring a professional photographer. Whether you choose to take your own pictures or hire someone else to capture the special moments of your baby’s birth, we wish you all the best in finding a way to create lasting memories so that you can look back on them fondly in years to come.